Sunday, May 29, 2011

Religious Tolerance: My First Two Weeks in Cairo



By Amani El Sehrawey

My first two weeks in post-revolutionary Egypt have been eye opening. After months of watching the news and reading articles about the revolution from my flat in London, I was finally off to Cairo to see what was going on in the country for myself. April 24th, despite my parents' worries and the dubious "you're going where?!" questions I received when asked what my plans were after leaving London, I got on the plane and landed in Cairo Airport. The empty airport and quickest, most hassle-free journey through customs I have ever experienced was the first indicator that things were not the same as when I had left the country two years ago.

Although business seems to be carrying on as usual in Cairo and things are not entirely different on a day to day basis from what I remember, there is nonetheless a definite sense that things have changed. The traffic is more unruly, I have witnessed several strikes outside schools and ministry buildings, but I think the most shocking and obvious change is the violence between Christians and Muslims and the rising prominence of Salafists in Egyptian political and civil society.

The fighting in the two weeks since my arrival were nothing like I would have expected in Egypt. I don't pretend to have my finger on the pulse of Egyptian society, as an American visiting Egypt every other year it is impossible. However, I do try to keep informed of the current events in the country as best as I can. I know that there are occasional squabbles between Muslims and Copts, the rare flare up of sectarian violence. However, the scale of violence post-revolution is unprecedented. Until I arrived, I had no idea that the Salafist movement even existed in Egypt in a significant way. And now the international press is filled with articles regarding the worrisome rise of Salafists in Egypt and their responsibility for much of the violence that has occurred since the revolution. UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon has made a statement regarding the events in Imbaba, and nations are condemning the violence.

My family friend went to protect the Coptic Pope from a potential assassination attempt during his Friday sermon last week. Christian neighbours are considering moving to Canada as the violence continues and the Salafist movement appears to gain more and more momentum. This is not the Egypt that I thought I knew.

In the Iranian Revolution of 1979, the people wanted a revolution, they successfully overthrew the oppressive regime, but the revolutionaries had no plan of action once they achieved their revolution. The ayatollahs, the most organized group at the time, saw opportunity in the power vacuum following the Shah's departure. The result is the Islamic Republic of Iran, now considered to be a rogue state, and certainly not a beacon on freedom and liberal values for the region. In Egypt, although we are still in the early days, it seems the Ikhwan, now aided by the Salafists it would appear, are seeking to capitalize on a similar power vacuum.

The revolution was only the beginning of transforming Egypt into a modern liberal democratic state. The hard work is still yet to come, and it seems that religious tolerance (or lack thereof) is a central issue that needs to be addressed. The Ikhwan and Salafists are proposing an Islamic state. Is this possible with a country so divided politically? With such a significant Christian population? With an economy so dependent on tourism? I would argue that it is not. Perhaps possible, but certainly not politically, economically, or socially advantageous.

It is the typical American inclination to promote democracy and then become disillusioned when the American vision of liberal democracy is not carried out. However, it is for the Egyptian people, those who overthrew one of the most repressive, brutal dictators in the world, to decide the future of their country. I can only hope that when the dust has settled and the new regime is established, they will not find they have exchanged one tyrant for another.

-Amani El Sehrawey is an undergraduate at Boston University studying International Relations. She is currently interning at the American Islamic Congress in Cairo, Egypt.

No comments:

Post a Comment